Monday, June 24, 2013

Solstice

The past two weeks have been more of a re-grouping of my thoughts, and with the longest day of the year already here and gone, its time for me to look forward to my ambitions for the next couple of months.

I woke this morning thinking, "Summer is only a few days old, and I am already exhausted."

Perfect! With more sunlight each day there is more time to be out doing things, training, climbing, running, and so here are my goals for the rest of the summer:

With my next 50k not scheduled until September I have to have something to reach for in to more near future.  I want to put a lot more time in doing (what I would deem) "proper mountain running".  In the immediate vicinity this would mean spending more time up around Baldy and out towards San Gorgonio.  Outside of the immediate vicinity I want to spend a few weekends up in the Eastern Sierras (if I can get the time).

 With all of that mountain running there are a few things that have been bouncing around in my head, of which at the fore front being a few FKT's (fastest known times) in the Southern California area:

- Mt. Baldy (Bear Canyon Route) : This one's recent popularity seems to be tied to Anton Krupicka's accidental FKT a couple of years back.  Nonetheless its a solid route.

- San Gorgonio via Vivian Creek Trail : This one is a bit less active, but it is also a proper route.

- Cactus to Clouds  : This one I would have to wait till it cools down in the Fall, but I thought I would throw it in anyway.

- 9 Peaks Challenge: this one doesn't have a well established FKT, but I would like to try to put up a solid effort on this route.

Most of these are one way FKT's, but I have been also playing with the ideas of extending the suffering a bit more and pushing for some solid Car to Car times, we shall see.

Now, I know these are very lofty goals, with all the other things that I  have going on this summer, but I figured if I wrote them out I would have to, at least, push towards them instead of just keeping them in my head.

Other than the FKT's I have the honor of pacing Peter at Western States this weekend and Dominic at the AC 100 in early August, followed by the always enjoyable Mt. Ashland Hill Climb.  So, it seems I have plenty on my plate to live out summer to its fullest potential, wish me luck.

Here is an obligatory picture to spice up this post:




1 comment:

  1. Hope I get to partake in some of those activities! Sounds like you have a great summer lined up.

    For the record... Brett Maune has the FKT up Bear Cyn to Baldy: http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=pacific&action=display&thread=50

    I think you could totally lower the FKT... DO IT!

    ReplyDelete