Sunday, March 24, 2013

Thinking about Eating: 3/17/13-3/23/13

Ever so often I begin to really examine my diet.  In college I took a couple of nutrition classes, had a room mate and good friend who was majoring in Nutrition, and read a handful of books on the subject.  So, you would think that I would have it all down pat with my eating habits, but I don't.  I have found that if I don't read one book a year on the subject I begin to fade away from paying much attention to what types of things I am consuming.  It happens slowly.  First, my salad portions start to get smaller, then I don't put any veggies in my lunch, and as the gradual slope continues before I know it I am regularly eating pizza and burgers and the veggies that we still unconsciously buy at the store sit and rot in the fridge.  This week I saw that I was beginning to head down that slope, and thus it was time to read another book!   I picked up a copy of Scott Jurek's Eat and Run and a bottle of Udo's oil, and got to work.  So far the book has been a very good read and has had great recipes along the way.  I will let you know how it all turns out.




Sunday:
 Pushed the uphill run from Lower Sam Merrel to Inspiration Point via Castle Canyon.  Chris Price told me he timed himself up that route a few weeks ago, and so I thought I would give it a go.  It took me 47:49 although I found later that Chris and I started our watches at different places.  Nonetheless, I really want to knock it out in 45 minutes.  We'll see.

Monday:
I put in 2 laps on lower Steep and Cheap/ Sam Merrill(SM).  I am trying to work on my down hill speed....without tripping.

Tuesday:
I was feeling a little sluggish, so I took it easy with a route up lower SM and down the Sunset Ridge trail.  I decided to enjoy the run and so I goofed around a bit and snapped some self portraits.

Wednesday:
I headed out for a run in the morning only to realize that I hadn't eaten anything for breakfast.  The sluggishness was still lingering from the day before, so I ran back home for a shorter ten miles and went to meet Jess for lunch.  Totally worth it! She got a new pair of New Balance WT110's and thus when she got off work we went on a beautiful run up to Echo Mountain.  The day turned out great!

Thursday:
Woke up with a sore throat,  got to work 2 hours too early (wrong shift), didn't run...not my best day.

Friday:
Ran up Echo Mountain in the morning followed by a run to work.  Its amazing how much better I feel when I run a cold away.

Saturday:
I received an email earlier in the week from Mr. Unicorn directing a Zeke Tiernan to me seeing if I would show him some cool trails in  the San Gabirels during the weekend.  I was more than excited to have some company for a Saturday run since everyone else was running Old Goats 50 miler.  We met at the Sam Merrill trail head at 7:00 and ventured out to see if I could show him the beauty of the front range.  After dodging the hoards of people on lower Sam Merrill we climbed up to tag Mt. Lowe and Mt San Gabriel.  Zeke was a blast to run with.  His mellow demeanor made him easy to talk to as the beautiful scenery of my local stomping grounds passed by.   I am always amazed at the connections that  I make through the mountain running community.  Thanks for a great day Zeke!

Saturday with Zeke.  Mt. Markham and San Gabriel (from right to left) in the background




1 comment:

  1. Good stuff. Here's a funny article by a trail/mountain runner about food: http://www.irunfar.com/2013/02/food.html

    For the record: Your time from the fountain at the bottom of Sam Merrill to Inspiration Pt. is faster than mine.

    Let's go run soon =)

    ReplyDelete